How to Apply to Become Director of the Pittsburgh Compline Choir
The Pittsburgh Compline Choir welcomes applications for the position of Director. A detailed job description is appended. Please review the Job Description carefully before submitting your application. You can learn more about the choir by visiting our website at http://pghcompline.com
To apply, please send us 1. your resume and 2. a letter of application (suggested content described below) for receipt no later than August 6. Please send you materials as Word documents to Linda Everhart, Secretary of the Search Committee, at Linda.Everhart@gmail.com. Kindly include your name in the file name. Additional optional supplementary application materials (CDs, programs, etc.) can be sent electronically to Linda or via postal mail to PCC Director Search Committee, % Linda Everhart, 4805 Ellsworth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA. 15213-2804. If you have questions about the application process or about the choir, please email Linda or call Elena Swann at 412-576-4759 or Linda Everhart at 412-894-1880.
We would be grateful if you would take the time to tell us in your Letter of Application, some of the reasons you feel you are well-qualified for the directorship. The following four prompts may help you in composing your letter. Responses to the following four questions are not a requirement for job application. But the Call Committee believes your answers to these questions will help us understand you and help us evaluate your application. Please answer as many questions as you wish.
1. Psalm singing is at the core of the singing of the Pittsburgh Compline Choir. The Choir sings a lot of Anglican chant and sings a considerable amount of Gregorian chant. Please tell us about your experience singing and conducting Anglican and Gregorian chant. Please mention any courses or workshops you may have taken to enhance your understanding of these specialized styles.
2. While it is an all-volunteer choir, the auditioned members of the Pittsburgh Compline Choir are all highly skilled and experienced musicians. More than half of its members hold degrees in music. Please tell us your philosophy for motivating and engaging this kind of singer/musician.
3. The service of Compline is unique. Please tell us why you are attracted to directing music for the service of Compline in particular.
4. Directing and leading a choir requires a cluster of skills and not all excellent directors possess exactly the same cluster of skills. These skills include things like:
- ability to choose appropriate music;
- excellent conducting technique;
- excellent rehearsal technique;
- sensitivity to the music’s role in the liturgy;
- knowledge of vocal production;
- knowledge of choral technique including diction;
- knowledge of musical styles and performance practice;
- ability to inspire the choir;
- ability to inspire disciplined attendance and participation;
- ability to establish effective partnerships with other musicians and other organizations.
This list is not exhaustive but just a suggestion of some of the skills needed for the job. You will probably have other things in mind. Please tell us three or more skills that you feel are possibly the strongest assets you would bring to the job of director of the Compline Choir.
Thank you for your interest in the position. We look forward to hearing from you.
Pittsburgh Compline Choir Director Call Committee
Brian Bennett, LUC Campus Pastor
Lutheran Campus Ministry in Greater Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Compline Choir Director Job Description
The Director of the Pittsburgh Compline Choir Director supports the following Long Term Goals and Objectives:
- Maintain musical excellence and foster an increasing musical maturity of the Choir
- Involve other comparable choirs and other sources to emphasize the ecumenical nature of the
Compline ministry and broaden the outreach of the ministry of Compline
- Support the recording and broadcast of the Compline service
- Attract top quality singers
- Increase attendance including students
- When feasible and appropriate record the Choir’s performance in coordination with the Lutheran University Center
- Beyond the weekly Compline service, make the Choir available to other services and churches
Responsibilities of the Director of the Pittsburgh Compline Choir:
- Recruit and audition new singers
- Prepare and distribute choir schedule and supporting information required for the effective
coordination and leadership of the Compline Choir
- Maintain a music history;
- Write and/or edit music as needed;
- Maintain the music library, ensuring that music is filed/re-
- Prepare music and readings for Compline services (approximately 14 services per each Fall and
Spring school term)
- Prepare Compline bulletin so that it can be published by the Lutheran University Center office
- Provide musical direction to the Compline Choir, which includes rehearsals, warm-up and
- Recruit substitute Director for any absences
- Foster and maintain a healthy working relationship with the Lutheran University Center Office (Executive Director and
- Support Worship Committee and Lutheran University Center Council
- Actively participate in the worship committee of LCMGP
- Attend the annual board meeting of the Lutheran Campus Ministry of Greater Pittsburgh to give annual report (attendance at other board meetings is always welcome but not required).
- Fiscal Responsibility:
- Timely submission of all expenses to the LUC Office for Lutheran University Center Approval and processing
- Request approval from the LUC Executive Director of all budget overruns prior to incurring the expense
- Support the annual budget development
- Coordinate, guide, and support volunteers in the following tasks:
- Coordination of Guest Organists (Invite, Schedule, and send letters of appreciation)
- Preparation and cleanup of Heinz Chapel as required for each service
- Set-up and take-down Compline signage for each Service
- Oversight of the publicity and advertising of Compline Choir including Guest Organist and all special events to be published both in print and electronic publications including fliers for the Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod (ELCA) Monthly Newsletter- “The Echo”, distribution to Lutheran Churches, and appropriate Social Media sites.
- Monitor attendance and maintain relationship with Choir members
- Compline Choir Supporting Activities: Maintain a contact list of all Choir Members; assign cassocks to
Choir members; care of the cassocks; supervise processions and seating order; preparation of Choir folders.
The Compline Choir Director Compensation will be:
- Paid on a monthly basis, each month (except June and July) as determined in the Fiscal Budget as approved by both the Finance Committee and the Council for the Lutheran Campus Ministry.
- The Salary for Fiscal Year 2017 is $10,000.
- Will receive 2 weeks’ vacation during each 14 week session of Compline
All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. Background checks must also be renewed every 3 years. Background checks will include:
- Social Security Verification: validates the applicant’s Social Security number, date of birth and former addresses.
- Criminal History: includes review of criminal convictions and probation.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Check.